Monday 6 February 2017

59 Years since Munich 1958

1504, February 6th 1958, the world of football was shocked to the core,when the BEA Flight carrying home the Manchester United team crashed on its third take off attempt at Munich airport. 23 people were killed, including eight players. 

Geoff BentRoger ByrneEddie ColmanMark JonesDavid PeggTommy Taylor and Liam "Billy" Whelan were killed instantly. Duncan Edwards was taken to hospital where he sadly died 15 days later on 21st February.

In summer 2007 I received an email offering me work experience as part of my one year top up degree at Salford university with MUTV working on the documentary they were producing for the 50th anniversary in February 2008. Working for MUTV and getting to research more into part of my beloved clubs history I was thrilled! 

I spent many hours sat in Manchester central library looking through the reels of the newspaper coverage of the last match and then the reporting of the crash. 

The finished documentary was narrated by Albert Finney and it is amazing! Nine years on I am still so proud of my work and the team I worked with at MUTV.


I have the documentary on DVD that I was given by MUTV, just like every other member of the team.


A broken heart a broken dream
A broken plane a broken team
No words were said a silent vow
We loved you then we love you now The red flag will always fly
For Man United will never die
Never to be forgotten-6th February 1958


No comments:

Post a Comment